While on the topic of knives, I'd like to share a story from a year or two ago. This is one of Preston's favorites. A girl in her late 20s came in to ask for some advice, on behalf of her boyfriend, concerning the topic of wound dressing. I inquired about the nature of the wound, and she said, "Oh, my boyfriend just got cut a little bit on his leg." My next question, "Cut by what?" She replied with a nervous, "Hmmm..." Then I asked, "Well, what type of wound is it?" She responded, "It's kind of like a poke wound." Ok, now we were getting somewhere. "Did he go to the doctor?" By the look on her face, I gathered her answer was "No". She said, "He doesn't really want to go to a doctor." I asked, "Well, is it a deep 'poke' wound? Also, was he 'poked' by something metal?" She nodded her head. I continued, "Was it perhaps a knife?" She nodded again. "Was it a large knife or a tiny knife?" She said, "It's maybe kind of a bigger knife." I then proceeded to say that even if he didn't want to go to the doctor due to the circumstances surrounding the poke wound, that he seriously needed to get a tetanus shot, if he had not done so in the last ten years. I went on to explain that he could even cover up his poke wound and not even mention it when getting his tetanus shot. I also explained the seriousness of not properly cleaning and dressing a 'poke' wound, and how the surrounding area might turn black and lots of tissue would die and he would probably lose his leg after a while. I think that sufficiently scared her.
Sunday, October 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
How is that some people are so dumb? And why is this girl still with someone that dumb? Incredible!
I love it. This story sounds akin to the stories I tell to my attention seeking patients who attempt suicide by taking one too many tylenol pills. I always tell them they are going to turn yellow and die a very slow agonizing death. Probably an exaggeration but they get into the ambulance faster.
I won't use a knife, but you've been tagged!
Post a Comment