I am pretty tired of hearing about the election every 20 minutes, so it's odd that I should choose to write about it at this time. I'm just a little confused about something. In order to even be considered for employment with the sheriff's department, Preston had to fill out an initial application that was extremely lengthy and redundant. They wanted to know every place he ever worked, every place he ever lived, and every school he ever attended (including grades earned at those schools). They wanted to know the names of all immediate family members, their address and phone number, and their place of employment. They also asked the 150+ usual questions about finances, driving history, criminal history, etc. He was asked to list 6 references, 6 long-time friends, and some of my family members. They also wanted quite a bit of information about me. The nerve! That's right. Information about my background was highly relevant. Anyway, you get the picture that the amount of information they wanted seemed endless, right? After all that, he completed a face-to-face interview where they used a voice stress analyzer on him. He was offered the job, and then they sent out an even THICKER "background packet". Preston has finally finished that, so hopefully there's no more paperwork. I'm not complaining. I'm truly happy and impressed that the sheriff's department does such an extensive background check, because that means his co-workers have also met the same standards, and it means that they will be less likely to become involved in shady dealings while on the job.
So, if Preston and I had to undergo such scrutiny, why is it that presidential candidates (who shall remain nameless) have an indignant hissy fit when their background is questioned? One particular candidate even roared, "Lay off my wife!" I wonder what would have happened to Preston if he had just left the questions about me blank and had told the background investigator, "Lay off my wife!" It's almost too silly to consider. Preston's job, while very significant, is rather insignificant on an international scale. The office of President of the United States, as you would probably agree, is muy importante! Shouldn't the president have to fill out one of those crazy long applications and undergo a background check? In fact, I submit that all potential candidates, upon entering the race, should have to pass a background check in order to continue their campaign. I realize that by doing so, those qualified to run for president would be limited to maybe a Geo Trackerful. That would perhaps make this election process much more endurable.
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
This post looks boring, but...it's WAY boring.
Posted by Kristiwistin at 10:50 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I completely agree! Especially when the financial advisors of Obama were recent employees of Fannie Mae. Very interesting. Glad the president doesn't have too much power.
Very well put!
Oh, so true!
Kristin, I think that you are just upset because you aren't affiliated with the taliban. Picky Picky:)J/k Actually, from what I hear you can just buy the Presidential office.
Post a Comment