CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 22, 2009

Another Dummy...

So this guy came to the pharmacy requesting a transfer of his Lortab prescription from another pharmacy. I told him that I'd do it, but that if I found out it's too early to fill I couldn't fill it that day. I also informed him that once I transferred the prescription, it couldn't be transferred again. So, I called the other pharmacy, and what do you know? The other pharmacy had just given him a 30-day-supply a week earlier. It was too soon! I tried to phone and page the patient with no success. He called back an hour later to ask about when his prescription would be ready. I informed him that sadly, his Lortab wouldn't be filled until May 24th. He replied, "What!?!?! Why?!?!?" I said, "You just got this at the other pharmacy. You got a 30-day-supply on April 6th and on April 22nd." The dummy said, "See, the other pharmacy gave it to me early. I got it on the 6th and then the 22nd. That's right." I said, "I'm not the other pharmacy. It's against the law to fill this early." Then he brilliantly stated, "Well then I'm going to call someone and get that other pharmacy in trouble since they filled it early for me." I said, "Ok, try that, and you'll get in trouble for taking too much Lortab." He didn't have much to say after that. He called me again a week or two later, desperately requesting that I fill it early. I said, "NO WAY! If you want it early, I'll need a call from your doctor." Of course, there was more dialogue involved than that, but you get the idea. He called again an hour or two later to ask if his doctor had called yet. He hadn't. This dude then had the audacity to say, "Well, I talked to my doctor, and he said he was going to call. He even said that I could just tell you guys that it was okay to fill and that you need to give it to me because you calculated it wrong. I should be able to get it today because there's 31 days in the month." I responded matter-of-factly, "There's actually only 30 days in April." Before he could tell me there's 31 days in May, I further said, "I know there's 31 days in May, so that's why the doctor might be confused, but that's completely irrelevant. Tell him that." He said, "Um, ok." That was it.

2 comments:

Steve and Holly said...

I'm sure that doctors routinely just tell their patients to tell the pharmacy what to fill for them and when. Smart guy!

NatalieD said...

Maybe you should require IQ tests for anyone picking up a prescription.