Why did I become a pharmacist? It's simple:
I don't like to look at oozing body sores. I don't like to look at weird rashes on private body parts. I don't like to look at black, bloody toenails. I don't like to look at massive pus bubbles just inside the ear. I don't like to look at athlete's foot. I don't like to look at scabby white patches in a throat. I don't like to look at rotting teeth (and I don't want to smell the breath that accompanies those rotting teeth). I don't like to watch lice make a cozy home atop a head of hair. I don't like to look at red, scaly patches ANYWHERE. I don't like to look at long, brittle, yellow fingernails. I don't like to look at warts. I don't like to look at bumps in an armpit.
...So why have I seen all of these things at the pharmacy? People often don't want to pay a doctor to look at this stuff, and I guess I look like I'm bored behind the pharmacy counter. I can't/shouldn't really diagnose any problems/illnesses, but before I get a chance to explain that to patients, socks are removed, pants are unzipped, mouths are opened, and shirts are lifted up.
One day (when I was a brand new pharmacist), my parents stopped by to visit me at the pharmacy. They waited several feet in front of the pharmacy while I was at the consultation window with a middle-aged man who was asking about a rash on what he referred to as his "area". I was young and unafraid, so I asked him to explain further. In the two seconds it took him to undo his belt and unzip his pants, I realized where this "area" exactly was. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed the look of horror on my mother's face. The word "WHOA!" slipped out of my mouth, and the man paused just before I caught sight of his entire "area". I told him I wasn't a doctor and that we were in...um...A PUBLIC PLACE! I kind of figured I knew what his problem was, however, so I directed him to some cream which might help this particular rash. My poor mother.
(Note: While it's true that I became a pharmacist partly because I thought being a medical doctor, dentist, or nurse would have totally grossed me out, I decided that the entertainment value of working in a pharmacy was too great to pass by. That's pretty much a major reason why I became a pharmacist, as evidenced by this here blog of mine.)
Friday, February 8, 2013
Don't Read This While Consuming Food
Posted by Kristiwistin at 7:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment