Today at the pharmacy counter, an older gentleman informed me that he was a retired doctor (with an active license) and that he would like to write a prescription for himself. I said that would be fine and asked him what he wanted a prescription for. He said he couldn't remember. I asked in surprise, "Oh, you can't remember what prescription you're taking?" He replied, "No, but I know it's a medication for short-term memory. I was wondering if you could help me figure it out." Now that's a predicament. If you can't remember your memory medication, then what do you do? You consult the pharmacist. I listed off a few options until I came to one that caused him to say, "That's it!" I sure hope it was "it", because I filled him a prescription for it shortly thereafter. We ran into a little snag while filling his medication, however. The insurance company needed his doctor DEA number in order to process the claim. Well, the doctor/patient couldn't remember that either. I suggested that it might be on a card he possibly could be carrying in his wallet. Yup, it was in his wallet. Woohoo again.
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
ha ha - good for you - what would those old retired doctors do without you?
He remembered enough -- why crowd your brain with anything not essential!
What a nice man! Sometimes I wish I had the excuse that I had short term memory. Oh well! I love hearing this funny stories. Nice to hear that someone has a light spot in their job!!
umm...wow. I didn't know docs could write their own perscription and I think this is one of your funniest stories yet!
Post a Comment