At work, I'm responsible for the hiring and firing of pharmacy staff. Recently I've had several applicants (for the position of pharmacy technician) stop by the pharmacy to inquire about employment. I've told them I have nothing available, because I have nothing available. A man in his early 40s came in a few weeks ago to tell me he has plans to go to pharmacy school and is involved in a program which would reimburse my pharmacy half of his wages for six months. He directly told me that I should hire him because of these reasons. I said I didn't have a position, but something might open up in the future. To this man, the future was two days later. When he came into the pharmacy again, he told me how he'd owned his own computer business and how he was extremely intelligent, but he'd gotten bored and had learned all he needed to with computers so he was going to pharmacy school. I said, "That's nice," and I told him I'd have nothing for months and months probably. Well, a week or two ago we had to let someone go in the pharmacy, so a position became available. Because of the nature of the firing, I hadn't said anything to anyone in the store about it, but in the Wal-Mart world, news travels fast regardless. Anyway, this man came in on Sunday, and I was confused as to why he would keep pestering me when I had told him I had no job for him. He approached me and said, "So, I heard you fired someone, but you didn't call to tell me there was an opening, so I'm here. You can hire me now." I responded, "How did you hear about that?" He said, with a smug little grin, "Oh, I have a lot of friends in the industry. I know you have a position available, so..." I cut him off and said, "Well, I still don't have anything because we're so slow this time of year." I should have said, "I do have an opening, but not for you." If he comes back, I'll tell him that, and give him a tip that nobody wants to hire a pushy, know-it-all gossip. If you do want to hire a person like that, let me know, and I can give you his number.
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment