CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Honesty is such a lonely word...

Yesterday, a customer came to me and said that on the previous day one of my technicians gave her $10 too much back in change. She said she didn't realize it until she got home. The total bill came to something like $14, and she paid with $100 (so she'd get $86 back in change --- you follow?). Well, my tech typed in $10.00 instead of $100.00 when entering the payment amount. After she entered $10.00, THEN she entered $100.00, so the register showed that we owed the customer $96. Anyway, I was just amazed that this woman came back a day later to tell me this and to give me the $10. I thanked her profusely and told her how her honesty made my day brighter. I thought I'd share this rare, but true story to inspire and give hope that there is quite a grip of goodness here in Las Vegas.

Speaking of honesty, here's another little story. I've been applying for licensure in another state since July, and I've been given the runniest run-around imaginable. I've paid the state "Board of Pharmacy" loads of money, sent fingerprints, a letter from my state board of pharmacy, and so on. They just have so many requirements and claim to be exceedingly thorough, so as not to let just any old person into the state to work. Anyway, I've been in the final stages for weeks, and I've just been waiting for the state to send approval to the testing center so the testing center can send me my authorization to test letter. The last step of getting this blasted license involves me taking a state law exam. Anyway, I've been waiting and waiting for this "authorization to test" letter, and what came in the mail yesterday? My active pharmacist license from that state. What? Yes, that's right. They sent my license. Wait! I didn't take the test. Here's where I had to make a decision. I could just keep my lips zipped, or I could call the state licensing board up and let them know that they are whacked out. I mean, for a state that's extra picky, I'm surprised they made this mistake. Well, I called the state board, and the woman on the phone seemed rather embarrassed and kindly asked me if I could return the license I received in the mail. She also thanked me for my honesty and said that if I hadn't called, they probably wouldn't have known the difference, and I could have gotten by. I made the best choice though, even though it pained me, for I still have that blasted test to take.

2 comments:

Janet said...

I'm so proud of you! Sorry you still have to take the test--if they ever let you take it.

Steve and Holly said...

You're such a good little girl!! So can you take the test now??