CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, September 26, 2008

Urgency OR Emergency?

A regular patient at my pharmacy came in today to pick up her medication, and while waiting for her prescription, she obtained a blood pressure reading of 230/113. If you didn't know, that's pretty high. I figured the machine was maybe "off" somehow, so I told her to go back over and get another blood pressure reading. The second result was even higher. Her face was red, and her hands/fingers were even more red. She seemed fairly calm and asked me what she could do to bring it down. She said, "Oh, it's never been this high. Is that bad?" I told her to take a trip to the hospital. She said, "Well, I don't have time to do that today because I'm on my way to the police station to file a report. My sister is trying to kill me." I could only respond with an "Oh?". She said, "Yes, she keeps trying to kill me and she's been breaking into my house. I'm sick of it." I asked, "How is she trying to kill you?" She replied, "Well, you know those laser pens? She keeps aiming one at me. She points it here, here, and here. Yesterday she kept pointing it at my head, and I had a headache for hours. I'm truly scared." Hmmmm. That's a new one. Death by laser pointer. Anyway, she kept going on and on about it, and I said, "Hey, you really need to go to the hospital." I told her this, because I figured she was experiencing some kind of hypertensive urgency. I was wrong though. Now that I evaluate the situation, I believe it was a hypertensive emergency. What's the difference? I'll tell you. Hypertensive urgency occurs when there is a spike in blood pressure without resulting organ damage. Hypertensive emergency involves damage to one or more organs, and in this woman's case, the organ was her brain.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

ha ha WOW. I thought that if your blood pressure ever went that high, your heart would explode. The marvels of the human body...

Steve and Holly said...

Your problem is that you're too cute and nice and people think that you're just giving them some
options about what they might want to do with their free time.