A young man of latin heritage brought a prescription for an antibiotic to the pharmacy today dated 2/8/07. For those of you unfamiliar with prescription law in the state of Utah, I will inform. Prescriptions expire one year from the date written (unless it's a controlled substance), so this prescription had been expired for well over a year. Anway, my technician said to the man, "We can't fill this. It's expired." He just smiled, took the prescription back, and left. He returned approximately 30 minutes later and handed the same worn-looking prescription to the same technician. This time the date read 2/8/09. Magic!!! My technician brought it over to me asking what we should do. I had her tell him again that we could not fill it and that it's against the law to alter a prescription. Just to be nice, I said I could call the doctor to verify the date or see if we could change the date to fill it today. Another magical thing happened. The patient called the doctor himself on his cell phone and was able to get the doctor immediately on the phone, as I only had enough magical powers to be able to leave a message. There was a small problem, however. We said we couldn't talk to a doctor on his cell phone and that the doctor would need to call the pharmacy directly. Then, just like magic, the cell phone snapped shut, and the doctor was no longer on the other end of the cell phone. He said he wanted the prescription back again, but this time I decided to add a little decoration to it. I stamped our pharmacy info on it a couple of times and wrote: EXPIRED - Written 2/8/07. I also highlighted that part. THEN we gave it back. Good luck amigo!
Note: I wish I'd taken a picture of the prescription after the date had been changed, because the saddest part is that it wasn't even a good alteration job. It looked like a 4-year-old tried to change the date. That makes it a little more crazy and unbelievably stupid.
Monday, March 2, 2009
Answer Truthfully: Do I Look THAT stupid?
Posted by Kristiwistin at 6:30 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I like that you like to mess with people that try to mess with you! What a fun job for you!!
You have some serious guts. Wish I could have your job somedays. Such fun!
I live for your stories from work! You should write a book!!! Always remember to pepper your conversations with grace and whatever!
Dear lady doc, the stuff you give your customers has serious side effects for those who attempt to cheat. Very clever. You may be young, but you weren't born yesterday.
No, you don't look THAT stupid--you just look innocent. The ignorant equate that look to vulnerable.
Of course, YOU don't look stupid, but maybe your technician does?
Post a Comment