CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 27, 2009

Yup, she's still doing "that".

Here's something fun. A young girl dropped off a prescription for an antibiotic today. We'll call her...Skeezy. About 10 minutes after Skeezy left, we realized we didn't have that antibiotic in stock. Since I'm a nice, responsible pharmacist, I decided to call the patient to inform her of this. I attempted to phone her and left a message to call me back. Well, about 20 minutes later, a man called me and asked, "Hey, why did Wal-Mart call for Skeezy?" I hadn't looked at the girl's date of birth, so I told him I couldn't say because I could only talk to the patient. He said, "She's 15!" I replied, "Oh, sorry. Well, we don't have a medication in stock that she dropped off a prescription for." He asked me to hold for a moment, and then came back on the phone, saying, "You told me a prescription for Skeezy was dropped off, and I talked to her, and she doesn't know anything about it. Could you tell me what it's for?" I told him it was an antibiotic, and he questioned me, saying, "Are you sure it's for her? That's so strange. I called her mom, and she doesn't know anything about it either." Oops, Skeezy, you (like most teenagers) are not as clever as you think you are. A few hours later, the girl's mother called me and asked, "You know that prescription that was dropped off? Well, what is that used for?" I had to approach this cautiously, as you'll soon see. I said, "Hmmm, let me pull up the info for this medication and just read you a list of the main things it's used for. I'm just reading a list here and not necessarily making any judgements on what Skeezy has. So, here we go. It's used for: ear and sinus infections, pneumonia, chlamydia, gonorrhea, cellulitis, and...well, those are the most common indications." Her mother sighed, "Well, I mean, I'm not really surprised that she's still doing...that, and...uh...okay. She's pregnant...so...I guess...hmmm..." The mother thanked me for my help, and I told her I'm always more than happy to help a parent when I can. Anyway, a responsible pharmacist has ruined yet another teenager's plans for the rest of her high school years. Have I caused problems for other troubled teens? Oh yes, I have. I'll share those stories later...perhaps. (I realize that since this girl was already pregnant, the trouble she'll face for this STD thing is very minimal compared to the trouble she got in for the pregnancy thing. I would also like to note that the punishment for the pregnancy thing was most likely inadequate.)

0 comments: