Flu shots. Are. The. Bane. Of. My. Existence. I'm not here to debate efficacy and safety of the yearly flu shot, although, I would recommend that you NOT get one IF you come to one of my pharmacies WHILE I'm working. Did I mention before how I don't enjoy administering flu shots? If you HAVE to get one, however, here are some tips/facts to consider before you request a flu shot from your friendly (so that wouldn't be me) neighborhood pharmacist:
1. Wear short sleeves. If I have to explain this to you, then you're probably one of the morons treasured patients who wears a long-sleeve turtleneck sweater when requesting a flu shot.
2. Don't ask the pharmacist if they've given a shot before or if they know what they're doing. You'll get a half smile. Perhaps you'll get a full smile. Maybe you'll get a maniacal laugh. Don't ask the question(s) unless you're prepared for the answer(s).
3. Take your kid(s) to the pediatrician for their flu shot. If you'd really like me to, I could stick a needle in your kid. I've been trained; I'm certified. I know you don't want to pay for an office visit, but as much as pharmacists don't like poking even the most obnoxious adult, we really REALLY don't like poking your child. Also, in the rare event that an adverse reaction occurs, do you really want me to be in charge of helping/saving your precious angel?
4. Relax your arm. If I tell you to relax your arm, I don't want you to make a ball with your fist. I'm not shooting heroin into a vein, although that may be the type of needle encounter some might be used to. I promise it hurts less if you just let go. Deep thoughts...from your pharmacist, I know...
5. Don't jump. Jumpers are what my nightmares are made of. Make a conscious decision ahead of time, and repeat to yourself, "I will not thrash about wildly while a 1 inch needle is plunged into my shoulder."
6. Just have fun. By this I mean stay home and do something fun. Refer back to the intro of this post.
Thank you for taking the time to read this public service announcement.
Wednesday, October 28, 2015
Flu Shot PSA
Posted by Kristiwistin at 8:29 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment