So there's this lady that has been calling me almost every day I work, and it's never just once a day. Once she finds out I'm there, she is relentless. I really should have been posting our phone conversations, but I will just try to remember some of the things we've talked about, and periodically I'll post a conversation as I remember it. Picture a boxy woman in her late 40's to early 50's with fried shoulder-length hair, fried skin, expressionless face, and a nasally monotone voice. She's actually in her 30's, but hopefully you have a good picture now. My first encounter with her dealt with an anti-depressant medication her doctor placed her on. It's brand name is Celexa, and the generic name is citalopram. She called to ask me, after taking it for a day, if she should keep taking it, because it wasn't working. I reassured her that she needed to keep taking it to feel better. She kept asking, "How sure are you? Like 100 percent sure? Or not really sure?" I repeatedly told her, "Like 100 percent sure." After a few hours or a few days, she called back to ask my opinion on something. She asked, "If you needed to take an anti-depressant, which one would you take?" Since I recognized her voice, and since she didn't remember that I was the pharmacist that had urged her to take her medication DAILY about 46 times, I immediately responded, "Oh, I'd take citalopram. It's the best, and I would take it every day." She questioned, "Really? Really that one? Why?" Anyway, this went on for months. During one phone conversation I noticed she hadn't refilled citalopram for a few months, yet the questions still were about that medication. She still was asking, "What's the best anti-depressant?" and "Are you sure if I keep taking it I'll feel better? I've been taking it for a few months and it isn't working." Then I kept reminding her that it needs to be taken EVERY DAY. She then asked, "So you're saying I should take it every day? If I take it every day, will it make it so I don't wanna hurt people?" Yes! Too bad the medication, if taken every day, won't make her stop bothering people.
Friday, March 4, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment